What is GreenPower?
Renewable energy, sometimes referred to as “green power” is power generated from renewable resources such as solar, wind, geothermal, and biomass sources. The mission of the GreenPower program is to support and promote educating Nevada’s preK-12 students in renewable energy and incorporating conscious living practices into their daily lives.
Since its inception in 2000, GreenPower has been a partnership between DRI, volunteer committee members, NV Energy, and their customers. Funded by the generosity of customers voluntarily adding a few dollars to their monthly electrical bill, 100% of the tax-deductible donations go towards renewable energy education in Nevada’s preK-12 schools.
Benefits for Schools
The GreenPower Program helps educators teach students about renewable energy, conservation, and sustainability. With standards-aligned tangible tools and professional development this completely free program helps educators bring green concepts and practices to any preK-12 classroom.
GreenPower schools receive:
• One GreenPower toolkit including hands-on teaching tools such as solar powered car kits and wind turbines as well as age-appropriate books about renewable energy, conservation, and sustainability
• Professional development including annual teacher trainings, monthly workshops, and specialized trainings such as hydroponics and energy-auditing
• Quarterly GreenPower e-newsletters
• Access to the network of GreenPower schools and their teachers
• Priority access to special events and unique offerings
• Professional assistance with special projects
The GreenPower toolkit is available annually, providing schools complete their selected GreenPower Points within the school year. These kits are given to the school free of charge and are the school’s to keep. All items within the kit are aligned to Nevada State Standards. You can see the contents of the Elementary Toolkit and Middle-High Toolkit for the 2010-2012 school year.
There are currently 89 GreenPower schools throughout the state of Nevada and new schools enroll each month.
Contact the GreenPower Program Karen Severin GreenPower Outreach Administrator
775.673.7412 (Reno) 702.862.5392 (Las Vegas)
np. (nd). What is GreenPower? Retrieved from http://www.dri.edu/greenpower
np. (nd). Benefits for Schools. Retrieved from http://www.dri.edu/benefits-for-schools